Tuesday February 28th 2017
When I got up this morning it was cloudy in the 50s and calm. Yesterday’s wind was gone. The overnight sprinkle of rain was not to be seen; gone leaving no evidence it ever happened. I wasn’t fooled. Checking the online forecasts turned up an alert from the National Weather Service. High winds and dust storms were forecast for this area and the area I was traveling into.
At 8:30, as others were getting on the road, I went up to the office and extended my stay for another night. I didn’t need to travel today. There was no reason to take the risk. Not being familiar with the area or the weather patterns, I had to take the warnings seriously. About 9:30 this morning, right when I’d be on the road, the sky darkened, the wind picked up and visibility went way down. The sky was brown with wind blown dust. I made the right decision to stay put for the day. Tomorrow has a much better forecast.
Most of the other overnight visitors to this campground did hit the road. I think only two others remained all day. The TV news reported the Interstate in the direction I was traveling was closed periodically for wind and dust. I wouldn’t have been a happy camper if I’d gotten caught in one of those closures. To add more grief to the mess, after covering everything with a fine coat of dirt, it rained briefly. Now all of my windows and outside surfaces are covered in quarter inch pools of dried mud.
Throughout the day the windstorms came in waves. It blew continuously all day, but every now and then it would pickup and blow harder for half an hour or more. Around 3:30, the clouds broke apart so the sun brightened the area, but the wind continued. The outside temperature never got much above 60. Inside I had the electric heater or the fireplace on to keep in toasty warm.
Tomorrow, I’ll get on the road early for the remaining 200 miles of my cross country journey. After six straight days of driving, I needed today off from driving. I knew I shouldn’t group lots of long driving days together, but I did it anyway. Hopefully, next time I think about one of these major relocation I’ll listen to my own advice.